This post could really have gone into the first post about deciding to learn rails, but I didn’t want it to become a long book. If you didn’t read last week’s post, I have decided to jump into learning ruby on rails after being a front end web developer for many years. I’ll still be doing front end work. I don’t ever want to give that up, but I certainly want to learn this web language that just seems to be a lot of fun and extremely helpful when building programs. A HUGE motivation for starting this is because of Joshua Kemp and his post about quitting his blacksmith job and becoming a junior Rails developer. If you haven’t done so already, please do yourself a favor and read the linked post and then the rest of his fantastic blog.

I’m currently half way through the book from Learn-Rails.com. It’s been pretty easy to follow along with up until just now. No fault of the authors, it’s just that I’m half awake and I’m trying to wrap my head around BasicObjects, Classes, Methods, and Attributes!

While I was writing last week’s entry I was stuck because of some Git issues. Or so I thought. It really wasn’t. While setting up my computer environment I had MANY, MANY issues and I tried so many attempted fixes for problems that arose, that I decided to scrap my test project’s directory and start all over. When I started over I had to create a lot of the same folders and directories as before, and for some reason I ended up having the newly created directories along with similarly named files but ending with “.LOCAL”. For example, I created a directory called, “Learn Rails” for my test project the first time around. Inside this directory is a file called, “gemfile” just as one example. I scrapped the whole original “Learn Rails” directory when I had too many problems setting up. I then created a directory called “Learn Rails” again. Exact same name. After installing my Ruby gems into my project, this directory ended up having the regular file called, “gemfile” again. But in addition to it, there was now a file called, “gemfile.LOCAL” as well. I’m no where near being knowledgeable enough to know what or why this is, but all these “.LOCAL” version of the files were causing havoc when trying to push my project to Github. For some reason my new “gemfile” was completely empty, but the “gemfile.LOCAL” was not. The “config.secret_key_base” was also non existent. I had to manually add that back in as well. I installed a Gitmerge tool that helped me figure out where the issues were at. I went with DiffMerge, and it seems to be doing it’s job.

2014-02-01T10:09:07+00:00